Sunday 13 May 2018

OUGD603 - Calendar - Final Print

Vellum White GF Smith 135gsm



Please refer to PPP module blogpost 'Intern' to see more and how the outcome has influenced my overall practice.

Evaluation

My research into ‘The Debate’ between Crouwel and Van Toorn influenced my decision to create a calendar and inspired me to balance aesthetics with function. Completing this brief at the start of my final year allowed me to use it as a practical outcome to plan out deadlines. I am proud to have produced such a successful outcome whilst writing my dissertation and shows I can positively respond to design theory.

I had intended on making the calendar available to print online at home, however the final composition wouldn’t work on such as small scale (A4, possibly A3). This encouraged me to increase the price and provide more aura as the product is limited edition.

My knowledge and experience in manual printing processes allowed me to problem solve and create a solution that unites process and concept. I sacrificed some function for aesthetics as the user isn’t able to write onto the calendar, however through making sales it seems the consumers feel the calendar is too precious to write on and have framed it. My research into the debate between subjectivity and objectivity was really influential as it inspired me to find a balance between function and aesthetics.

I believe I have fulfilled the aims of the brief as the outcome successfully takes advantage of what digital calendars lack and highlighted the positives of print media. The outcome has been prepared and sold in the industry which has given me really valuable professional experience from pricing, packaging and meeting deadlines. Supplying the product for Intern encouraged me to engage in professional practice, such as paper orders and meeting deadlines and contracts. They also helped with pricing the product and considering postage costs. Overall I am really pleased with the outcome and it is one of my most successful briefs so far. Gaining such a positive response from both designers and the public is encouraging and intend to create a version for 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment