Monday 14 May 2018

OUGD603 - Peter & Paul - LAU Interior Brief - Feedback and Development

Peter&Paul have provided feedback on my initial concepts. I have a week to complete the outcome. 


They much preferred the first concept of using the sponge type however they suggested experimenting with the scale.

The layout is too straight forward - Suggested to focus on the word 'Sponge' in a geometric font similar to:




The issue with this is that it's a card print and will be hard to replicate digitally. If I was to actually print the outcome, I would risk losing the unique qualities through editing as I have a colour scheme that I am required to follow. From my experience with working in print and translating it into digital and then back into print I find the print quality of the manual printed processes is lost. 

Sourced a simple geometric font:

Massive Baseline is square format therefore it can be rotated and adapted whilst holding its structure. Here I have demonstrated how the square format type can be used to stack the type:


Experimented with the composition making sure that I was conscious of space. I aim to be expressive but considerate in order to make sure the content is legible:





I took advantage of the geometric balance that Massive Baseline provides by rotating the words and slotting the square forms together like a puzzle. Previous feedback suggested that I need to bring focus onto 'sponge' therefore I kept it filled black but created outlines for 'absorb' in order to create contrast.

I introduced Microgramma for the copy as Massive Baseline isn't legible on such a small scale. Microgramma's width allows it to work cohesively with Massive Baseline. 




It would make more sense if the sponge was outlined and 'absorb' in full to illustrate the word absorbing ink therefore I changed the composition. The composition is reminiscient of Russian Constructivist design:

Paula Scher's contemporary Russian Constructivist style for CBS Records, 1979:

Considered and balanced composition - Almost resembles aerial images of fields.




















I have listened to the feedback and have sent two variations over for further feedback. I feel it is important to stay in contact with the client in order to make sure I don't run into any complications at the end of the deadline. 

Sent email:







Final concept:




Pleased to say that my outcome has been confirmed to be included in the final outcome. I had to restrict myself because there were countless directions that I could have taken. I set myself a short deadline which meant I could spend a week concentrating on this single brief. The restricted time meant that I was forced to commit to making decisions. I didn’t find working with a set colour scheme and quote restrictive as it made my decision making process more objective. I contemplated using the sponge textures, however I didn’t want to risk losing legibility. I didn’t spend long on the research stage because the brief required my own subjective interpretation of the quote to be transferred into print, therefore I focused on visual inspiration. Communicating via email was successful as Peter&Paul were quick to reply, however some of the feedback was limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment