Monday 14 May 2018

OUGD603 - Farm - 5 - Tramlines Lino Cut

Images of plough and tram lines created by farm machinery. This is an example of how farmers groom and preserve the English countryside.




Cutting into lino is similar to the ploughing process. This influenced me to explore to techniques and processes associated with lino. This would be an appropriate medium to use to communicate the manual labour throughout the harvest.

Test 1:

I experimented with some simple line cuts in order to get used to the medium and find out its characteristics. I used two sizes of blade in order to create contrast between the tyre marks and ploughing lines.
  • Hard to keep a consistent cutting depth
  • Once a mistake is made there is no going back
  • PRINTS BACKWARDS - This will be important to remember if I introduce type. 
  • Hard to cut corners (Much like the real thing)

I applied inconsistent pressures to the press which resulted in a variety of tones and textures. The graphic flack reflects the rawness of the soil.








Scanned in lino prints in order to create compositions from them. Once I am happy with the concept and composition, I can transfer them back onto a lino.




Suggestive of typographic forms:




















No comments:

Post a Comment